Atlanta Personal Trainer
770-744-5228 500 Bishop Street NW
Atlanta, GA 30318-4380 By Appointment Only
Follow Us

Atlanta Personal Trainer | Ray Grayson

Day 2: 5 Small Meals + Abs + Cardio Challenge #ShutupandTrain

Part 1 | Small Meals Challenge:

The nutrition portion will be the hardest part for some of you because it requires you to change your eating habits. However, you must understand your diet and these nutritional challenges are as important as the physical challenges.

About 70% of people looking to live healthy lifestyles or change their physical appearance struggle with the nutrition aspect!

Instructions for Your Nutrition Challenge:

  • Eat: 5-6 small, snack-sized clean meals throughout the day
  • Drink: Only water (SmartWater), green tea, or coffee (black)

As some of you know, I don’t like diets, I like healthy lifestyle changes! I truly believe everything in moderation is OK, and I live by the 80/20 rule (eat clean 80% of time and the other 20% you can enjoy yourself). With that said, below is a sample of one of my daily Mr. Shut Up and Train meal plans..

An Example of 5 Small Meals:

1. Breakfast: Oatmeal and Egg whites (start your day with a complex carb and a lean protein source)
2. Snack: Greek Yogurt w/ Flax
3. Lunch: Grilled Chicken Pita with a Side Salad
4. Snack: Protein Shake and Green Apple
5. Dinner: Salmon, Broccoli and Brown Rice
Late Night Snack: Cottage Cheese w/ some cinnamon sprinkled on

Part 2 | Ab Challenge:

For your ab challenge we have 3 different exercises, choose your fitness level and get to work!

  • Beginners: 75 reps
  • Intermediate: 150 reps
  • Advanced: 250 reps

1. Crunches

2. Bicycle Sit-ups

3. Plank
*This one is for time (hold your plank position as long as you can)

Part 3 | Cardio Challenge:

The last part of today’s challenge is 30 minutes of cardio.

Below are some cardio activities, but today it’s your choice..

  • Do a cardio machine at the gym.
  • Do some outdoor cardio at the park.
  • Take a class of your choice (aerobics, spinning, dancing, etc.)
  • Or you can choose to do a bike ride…

Remember to drink plenty of fluids and rehydrate your body…

“Tasty Food Thursday”

On Thursdays I’ll have a Guest Contributors provide some of their healthier meal recipes that you can use or add to your cook books.

Kale Salad with Pine Nuts, Currants & Parmesan Cheese

If you buy whole bunches of kale, be sure to cut the thick center stems out of the leaves and discard them before chopping up your salad. To save time, look for bagged kale salad in your supermarket.

First make the dressing. Whisk together 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl.

Add 1 to 2 generous handfuls of chopped kale, some toasted pine nuts and a few dried currents (or raisins) to the bowl. Use your hands to massage the dressing and the salad together. Let marinate for 10 to 20 minutes. (You can also make this in the morning and let marinate until lunchtime.) Use a vegetable peeler to shave strips of parmesan cheese over the salad.

*For a heartier meal add cooked chicken breast

Today’s contributor was Gillian Ferguson, and she’s the producer of Good Food on KCRW. Gillian also writes about food and recipes on her personal blog I Have A Lemon Tree.”

That is it for Day 2, way to go!

Let us know how your second day was on Facebook, Instagram, & Twitter…
Use the hashtag #30DayCC or #ShutupandTrain